Sunday, November 21, 2010

Mnemonics

One of the ways to easily memorize names is by using mnemonics. Mnemonics is defined as a device (such as rhyme or acronym) used to aid recall, as defined in WordWeb.
I remember in my Geol 11 (Elementary Geology) class way back 2007, my professor instructed us to make our own mnemonics of the Mohs' scale of hardness of minerals. Since I am a very obedient student, I used my not-so-very creative imagination and created my own mnemonic. Amazingly, I still remember the sequence of the Mohs' scale because of that mnemonic I invented 3 years ago. Here it is:

Taga -- TALC
Greenhills -- GYPSUM
Cubao -- CALCITE
Fifth -- FLUORITE
Avenue -- APATITE
Oscar -- ORTHOCLASE
Quezon -- QUARTZ
Tower -- TOPAZ
Corner -- CORUNDUM
DasmariƱas -- DIAMOND

In my Geol 40 (Mineralogy) class this semester, we are again asked to know the sequence of the mineral hardness, and of course it's peanuts on my part na.=)

Now, I'm working on memorizing the Bravais lattices which our Professors redundantly remind us that we will really need it for the board exam on August next year. I've recently invented another mnemonic and I hope I'll remember it till next year.=) Here it is:

CUltivated -- CUBIC
TETRApacked -- TETRAGONAL
Oatmeal -- ORTHORHOMBIC
HE -- HEXAGONAL
TRIGgered -- TRIGONAL
MOving TO the -- MONOCLINIC (and there are 2 types of this, since there's TO)
TRIcycle -- TRICLINIC

Whew! The words I chose doesn't make sense if combined in one sentence. But I hope it'll help me a bit in remembering the Bravais lattices.

How about you? Be creative! Let your imaginations run wild and think of your own mnemonics.=)

No comments:

Post a Comment